Monday, September 13, 2010

RBC Whistler Gran Fondo






What an event, it's all I can really say! Vancouver to Whistler on the Sea to Sky highway!

A smooth operation that provided 4000 people with the cycling experience of a lifetime - this along with the 'Lance effect' has brought cycling to new heights of awareness . We have all recently seen the Sea to Sky chalk-a-block with cyclists and never before has it been more PC to shave one's legs?

Anyway, yes there were likely 8000 shaved legs pedaling the 6000 vertical feet up to Whistler. 120 km's on the button, aid stations were amazing, volunteers and cheering fans were beyond amazing and if you consider the break in the weather - Friday and Sunday both downpour days and Saturday -nada - we the participants were truly rewarded with an unparalleled experience.

The day began early about 5 am, a quick small breakfast, coffee and into my superman suit. I had arranged to meet some people by the North side of the Lions Gate Bridge and as I approached in the dark it seemed like another 1000 cyclists shared the same timeline. The throng grew thick as we crossed the bridge and pedaled up Georgia to Burrard. Not much traffic but a ton of psyched cyclists.

For me it was a sea of happy maybe nervous faces and a ton of friends to catch up with. The Giro (Cat 1, 2, 3 racers) took off at 6:50 and we shuffled to the front to start the Gran Fondo. I was on the front line with Alex Stieda (still looking ripped) and a few other keeners, I was mostly hoping to stay out of trouble until Eagle Bluff - 7 am 'Bang' and we were punctually off.

Some of the highlights for me included; Riding over the Lions Gate as the sun came up, cycling in the center lane of the highway, generally having a great time with some great guys on the ride of a lifetime and finishing in 3.5 hours, I can't wait for next year.

If you look closely at the picture leaving Taylor Way and heading west you can see a constant line of helmets all the way back and out of sight. I have to take my hat off to the organizers for creating and executing what must have been a very difficult series of logistics.

I was at the finish line in Whistler in Lot 4 until nearly 4pm (after finishing at 10:30 am), Red Truck beer was flowing and I saw so many happy faces, so much joy and accomplishment it was refreshing for my soul. It is also maybe what inspired me to sally forth Sunday with snow and rain pelting to do the RedBull 5000 down, could I get one of those smiles for myself?

This is a great time of year to go into winter with a few check marks on the 'Bucket List'. The RBC Whistler Gran Fondo is a great event for anyone, just put in a little saddle time through the summer and you will be the one smiling.

Dre

No comments:

Post a Comment